Alleged accomplice in Tara Grinstead case must return to federal prison

In a separate case, Bo Dukes failed to pay restitution and complete community service

The man accused of concealing the death of Irwin County teacher Tara Grinstead in 2005 must return to federal prison, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Middle Georgia.

On Wednesday, a judge revoked the supervised release for Bo Dukes, who pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiracy to steal government property in 2013. Dukes was released from prison in October 2015, but failed to pay $130,000 restitution and complete 40 hours of community service — both required for his supervised release, according to court filings.

“When a defendant is ordered by the court to pay restitution or perform community service, it simply must be completed,” U.S. Attorney Charles Peeler said in an emailed statement. “(Wednesday’s) revocation is a reminder that defendants will face serious consequences if they fail to comply with court imposed obligations.”

RELATED: Trial date set, but not the location for Tara Grinstead homicide case

Dukes was sentenced to serve an additional six months and will be allowed to self-report to prison, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Middle Georgia.

In a separate case, Dukes is one of two men accused in Grinstead’s disappearance and death. Investigators believe Dukes helped a former classmate, Ryan Alexander Duke, remove Grinstead’s body from her Ocilla home.

In court Wednesday, Dukes’ attorney argued that it wasn’t safe for him to complete community service because he has received death threats since his arrest in the Grinstead case. Prosecutors argued that Dukes had time to complete the service hours prior to being implicated in the Grinstead case, and Judge Marc Treadwell agreed.

Grinstead, 30, was last seen on Oct. 22, 2005, when she left a cookout and said she was going straight home. Two days later, she was reported missing when she didn’t show up at Irwin County High School, where she taught history.

In February 2017, the GBI announced Duke’s arrest on murder charges. Days later, Dukes was arrested. He is accused of concealing the death and tampering with evidence and has been charged in two counties: Wilcox and Ben Hill. Dukes previously lived in Wilcox County, and investigators believe Grinstead’s body was taken to a pecan farm in Ben Hill.

Earlier this week, a judge set an April 1 trial date for Duke, but the the trial may be moved out of Irwin County. A trial date has not yet been set for Dukes.

It was not immediately known whether Dukes’ return to federal prison would affect his bond in the Grinstead case.