Atlanta police site goes down, hacker group claims responsibility

The hacker group Anonymous said they had taken the Atlanta Police Department's website offline.



The hacker group Anonymous said they had taken the Atlanta Police Department's website offline.

The internet hacking group Anonymous claimed responsibility for an attack against Atlanta police Sunday, saying they had taken the department’s website offline.

The announcement came in the form of a tweet from an account branded “Anonymous USA” shortly before 8:30 a.m.

The Atlanta Police Department's website briefly appeared to be offline Sunday morning.


icon to expand image


The Atlanta Police Department’s website briefly appeared to be offline afterward, but was functioning by 11:30 a.m.

The incident comes after the death of Rayshard Brooks, who was fatally shot Friday night in the parking lot of the Wendy's on University Avenue.

Police were sent to the Wendy’s after Brooks reportedly fell asleep in his car and blocked the restaurant’s drive-thru. A struggle broke out when officers attempted to arrest the man.

MORE: City reacts to police shooting of Rayshard Brooks

Video posted on social media showed Brooks on the ground wrestling with two white Atlanta police officers in the parking lot. Officers attempted to use a Taser on Brooks, who was able to wrestle the stun gun away and run away, with officers in pursuit. Shots are heard but not seen in the video.

RELATED: Protesters set Wendy's on fire, enter interstate after Atlanta death

Officer Garret Rolfe, who officials said fired the shots that killed Brooks, was terminated from the department. The second officer involved, Officer Devin Bronson, has been placed on administrative duty, officials said.

Other twitter accounts that claimed affiliation with Anonymous referenced the apparent cyber attack and called for the officers’ arrests.

The Minneapolis Police Department — who came under fire following the death of George Floyd in police custody — seemingly suffered a similar attack in May after Anonymous released a video demanding justice in the case.

No other details about the incident were released. We are working to learn more.

It is not the first time the City of Atlanta’s computer systems have come under attack. Restoring the city’s network after a 2018 ransomware attack cost Atlanta an estimated $2.7 million.

MORE: Cost of City of Atlanta's cyber attack: $2.7 million — and rising

In other news:

Channel 2's Matt Johnson was live on the scene as protesters smashed windows of a gas station in southwest Atlanta.