Nearly 30 children were in a Johns Creek Life Time Fitness pool when a chlorine mixer malfunction took place.
Photo: Channel 2 Action News
Photo: Channel 2 Action News

8 kids taken to hospital after pool chlorine malfunction in Johns Creek

More than a dozen people, including eight children, have been taken to a hospital after a pool chlorine malfunction in Johns Creek Tuesday night, police confirmed to Channel 2 Action News.

The Johns Creek Fire Department said a chlorine mixer malfunctioned at a Life Time Fitness pool, causing kids to vomit and have trouble breathing, Channel 2 reported.

 

The news station reported 28 kids, who were there for a swim meet, were near the pool when it began to malfunction.

Eight of the kids, who were all between 10 to 12 years old, fell in the pool and had to be taken to area hospitals, including five who were taken to Emory Johns Creek Hospital, Channel 2 reported. The hospital said those five kids are in stable condition. The rest of the children were treated at the scene by first responders.

 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website said the symptoms of chlorine exposure include blurred vision, difficulty breathing, nausea, vomiting and burning pain and blisters on the skin if exposed to gas.

Channel 2 reported an operations employee said the kids got sick at an outdoor pool, which is now closed.

 

The Life Time fitness manager and its employees would not respond to the news station’s requests for comment on the incident.

In other news:

Gwinnett police say she pretended she was an officer when she pulled over a car.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.