This year marks the 50th anniversary of the iconic Woodstock music festival.
Organizers in New York state were planning to mark the milestone with another festival, but those footing the bill said the festival is off.
Dentsu Aegis Network has announced the cancellation of Woodstock 50, Billboard reported Monday.
The festival was scheduled to run Aug. 16 to 18 in Watkins Glen, New York, the Poughkeepsie Journal reported.
Scheduled to appear at the event were: The Killers, Imagine Dragons, Jay-Z, Miley Cyrus and Chance the Rapper as, well as some acts tapped to play from the original 1969 festival such as John Fogerty and David Crosby, Billboard reported.
Dentsu Aegis told Billboard via a statement that what was planned wasn’t going to live up to the Woodstock brand:
“It’s a dream for agencies to work with iconic brands and to be associated with meaningful movements. We have a strong history of producing experiences that bring people together around common interests and causes which is why we chose to be part of the Woodstock 50th Anniversary Festival. But despite our tremendous investment of time, effort and commitment, we don’t believe the production of the festival can be executed as an event worthy of the Woodstock Brand name while ensuring the health and safety of the artists, partners and attendees.”
Because of the company’s concerns, Dentsu Aegis Network’s Amplifi Live has cancelled the festival, saying, “As difficult as it is, we believe this is the most prudent decision for all parties involved,” Billboard reported.
Despite Dentsu Aegis Network’s announcement, organizers said the show will go on.
“Woodstock 50 vehemently denies the festival’s cancellation and legal remedy will (be) sought,” officials told the Journal.
However, tickets were scheduled to go on sale on April 22, but on April 20, the date was changed to “soon,” the Journal reported.
Woodstock 50 founder Michael Lang told Billboard on April 19 that word of the festival’s cancellation was simply a rumor, the newspaper reported.
The state’s Department of Health has to review the festival’s permit application and issue a permit before tickets can be sold. The application was still pending last week, the Journal reported.
Billboard reported organizers were worried that Watkins Glen International speedway was not going to be able to handle 100,000 attendees.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.