Things to Do

Settlement reached in Sarah Jones lawsuit

By Jennifer Brett
Nov 19, 2014

The parents of 27-year-old film crew member Sarah Joneswho was killed in February while working on the movie "Midnight Rider" on a Jesup train trestle — have mostly settled a wrongful death lawsuit filed against numerous plaintiffs involved with the case.

“A confidential settlement agreement has been reached with the following defendants in the Sarah Jones civil lawsuit: Unclaimed Freight Productions, Inc.; Randall M. Miller; Jody Savin; Charles Baxter; Jay Sedrish; Jay Sedrish, Inc.; Don Mandrik; Hillary Schwartz; Mike Ozier; Epozier Films, Inc.; and Rayonier Performance Fibers,” attorney Jeff Harris said in a statement on Richard and Elizabeth Jones’ behalf.

Last month, Southern rocker Gregg Allman, whose life story was to have been told in “Midnight Rider,” and who served as an executive producer on the project, was dropped from the lawsuit. CSX, which operates the tracks where the fatal accident occurred; Meddin Studios, which provided gear and some crew members; and executive producer Jeffrey N. Gantremain in the suit, the statement said.

“Richard and Elizabeth Jones’ objectives in filing this lawsuit, after the death of their 27-year-old daughter, Sarah, have been clear and unwavering: To find out what happened on the day of their daughter’s death, determine who was responsible, hold those who made bad decisions accountable and ensure this kind of tragedy never happens again on another film set,” Harris said. “Today, we are another step closer to fully achieving those objectives.”

Richard Jones, Sarah’s father, said in a statement, “Elizabeth and I are dedicated to ensuring that our daughter’s death is not in vain, and through our work with the Sarah Jones Film Foundation we continue to advocate for safer film sets – keeping safety always at the forefront, never again an afterthought. Safety for Sarah.”

About the Author

More Stories