The Thomasville Bulldogs have done it again.
For the second week in a row, the Bulldogs have knocked off a ranked opponent in Region 1 and now surprisingly sit in the driver’s seat for the league title. On Friday, they beat the No. 7 Fitzgerald Purple Hurricane 20-14 on the road despite being 10-point underdogs, according to Maxwell’s projections.
Clint Thompson has the story for the Thomasville Times-Enterprise.
With the win, the Bulldogs pull to .500 for the first time this season after an 0-3 start and are now 4-4, 2-0 in league play. They are the only team undefeated in the region, which is only five teams deep. That means they’d need to lose to to both Berrien (2-5, 0-1) and Early County (4-2, 0-0) to not win their second region championship in the past three seasons.
Last week, the Bulldogs upset then-No. 8 Brooks County 31-20 at home, knocking the Trojans from the rankings as a 12-point underdog. It’s very possible the Bulldogs have now knocked the Purple Hurricane (6-2, 1-1) from the rankings as well.
Here’s how the rest of the top 10 faired:
- Top-ranked Rockmart all but clinched its third consecutive Region 7 title, defeating the only other team with an undefeated league record, Pepperell, by a score of 34-17. The Yellow Jackets are 7-0, 4-0. Kevin Myrick has the game story for The Polk County Standard Journal.
- The No. 2-ranked Hapeville Charter Hornets and AAAAAA’s No. 7 team, the Allatoona Buccaneers, met at Tri-Cities for a rematch of last year’s thriller and played to a 21-21 tie. For the second year in a row, the Hornets blew a second-half lead, as they were ahead 21-10 in the third quarter on Friday. The Hornets are 5-1-1.
- In Region 5 play, the No. 3 Callaway Cavaliers (6-1, 3-0) will host Spencer (2-4, 0-2) at 3 p.m. on Saturday at Kinnett Stadium in Columbus.
- The No. 4 Dublin Fighting Irish made easy work of Southwest in Region 3, winning 70-16. It’s the second time this season they’ve put up a 70-burger on an opponent — they beat East Laurens 77-13 on Sept. 27. They are 7-0, 4-0. WMAZ has highlights.
- In Region 8, the No. 5 Rabun County Wildcats beat Elbert County 52-14 to improve to 7-0, 4-0. AccessWDUN has details.
- No. 6 Swainsboro pounced on Bryan County 55-0 in Region 2 action. The Tigers are 6-1, 3-0.
- The No. 8 Bleckley County Royals beat East Laurens 59-7 in Region 3. They are 6-2, 3-1. The Bleckley Progress has details. You can listen to a recording of the broadcast here.
- No. 9 Union County beat Banks County 14-7 in Region 8. The Panthers are 7-0, 4-0. AccessWDUN has details, which include the Panthers winning without their starting quarterback and two receivers.
- In Region 3, the Washington County Golden Hawks beat Dodge County 35-14 to move to 5-2, 2-1.
Follow the AJC’s Class AA coverage on Twitter.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism. AJC.com. Atlanta. News. Now.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.
With the largest team in the state, the AJC reports what’s really going on with your tax dollars and your elected officials. Subscribe today. Visit the AJC's Georgia Navigator for the latest in Georgia politics.
Your subscription to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism. Visit the AJC's Georgia Navigator for the latest in Georgia politics.