FLOWERY BRANCH -- The Falcons selected Clemson defensive end/outside linebacker Vic Beasley with the eighth overall pick in the the NFL Draft on Thursday.
Beasley weighed in at 246 pounds at the combine and wanted to show teams that he could drop into coverage and rush the passer as a linebacker during Clemson’s Pro Day.
The native of Adairsville didn’t hesitate when asked his preferred destination back on his Pro Day.
“I grew up a Falcons fan,” he said. “I would love to play for the Falcons. But wherever I go I’m going to honor that team and give my best effort.”
The stars aligned for Beasley to end up playing for his favorite team.
The Falcons have a new coach, Dan Quinn, who values pass rushers and the team is in desperate need of players who can fire off the edge and get to the quarterback. Beasley, Clemson’s all-time sacks leader, is among the best pass rushers in the draft.
Here's Beasley's bio:
Vic Beasley, DE/OLB
College: Clemson. Height: 6-3. Weight: 246. Hometown: Adairsville. High school: Adairsville. Age: 22.
Highlights: Clemson’s all-time sack leader and a native of Adairsville, Beasley wants to play for the Falcons. He had 37 tackles, a team-high 21.5 tackles for loss, a team-high 12 sacks, nine quarterback pressures, three pass breakups, two caused fumbles, one recovered fumble and a 16-yard fumble return for a touchdown in 557 snaps over 13 games (12 starts) last season. He was the ACC defensive player of the year, as voted on by the coaches and the media. He finished with 33 sacks in his career, which he started as a running back.
2015 NFL DRAFT
- Tampa Bay. Buccaneers. Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State
- Tennessee Titans. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
Jacksonville. Dante Fowler Jr., DE, Florida
- Oakland Raiders. Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
- Washington Redskins. Brandon Sheriff, OT, Iowa
New York Jets. Leonard Williams, DT, USC
Chicago Bears. Kevin White, WR, West Virginia
Atlanta Falcons. Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson
- New York Giants. Ereck Flowers, OL, Miami
- St. Louis Rams. Todd Gurley, RB, St. Louis Rams
Minnesota Vikings. Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan STate
- Cleveland Browns. Danny Shelton, NT, Washington
- New Orleans Saints. Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford
- Miami Dolphins. DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville
- San Diego Chargers. Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
- Houston Texans. Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest
- San Francisco 49ers. Arik Armstead, DE, Oregon
- Kansas City Chiefs. Marcus Peters, CB, Washington
- Cleveland Browns. Cameron Erving, OL, Florida State
- Philadelphia Eagles. Nelson Agholor, WR, USC
Cincinnati Bengals. Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M
- Pittsburgh Steelers. Bud Dupree, OLB, Kentucky
- Denver Broncos. Shane Ray, OLB, Missouri
- Arizona Cardinals. D.J. Humphries, OT, Florida
- Carolina Panthers. Shaq Thompson, OLB, Washington
- Baltimore Ravens. Breshad Perriman, WR, Central Flordia
- Dallas Cowboys. Byron Jones, CB, Connecticut
- Detroit Lions. Laken Tomlinson, OG, Duke
- Indianapolis Colts. Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami
- Green Bay Packers. Damarious Randall, FS, Arizona State
- New Orleans Saints. Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson
- New England Patriots. Malcolm Brown, DT, Texas
5 questions with Vic Beasley
Q: How did you learn to set the edge so well?
A: Coming from Clemson with a great coach like (Marion Hobby) really instilled in us great technique and discipline. We just have to use what we learned in the film room and in the meeting room and apply it out there on the field.
Q: Can you drop back into coverage at the NFL level?
A: I’m comfortable doing that.
Q: Which NFL outside linebackers stand out to you?
A: Guys I look up to are guys like Von Miller, Bruce Irvin, guys who I plan on mirroring my game after on the next level. I see those guys drop back in coverage here and there, and that’s why I try to mirror their game.
Q: Have you met with the Saints and would you love to playing under (Saints defensive coordinator) Rob Ryan?
A: I would love to play under him. His defense is great, he’s a great defensive coordinator and whichever way he’s willing to use me, I’m available.
Q: What’s your best pass-rushing move?
A: First of all, I just like to use my speed. And then I’ll use my rip.
POSITION-BY-POSITION FOR 2015 NFL DRAFT
Wednesday: Top 5 Inside Linebackers
Thursday: Top 5 defensive tackles
Friday: Top 5 defensive backs
Saturday: Top 5 special teamers
Monday: Top 5 Offensive line
Tuesday: Top 5 Wide receivers
Wednesday, April 22: Top 5 Running backs
Thursday, April 23: Top 5 Quarterbacks
Friday, April 24: Top 5 Tight ends
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.