It’s not often that a football player scores seven touchdowns in a game. It happened twice last week — in the same game.
Victor Nguyen of McIntosh and Marquis Terry of Drew each scored seven touchdowns in a game won by McIntosh 77-56. The 133 total points are the second-most in a regulation game in GHSA history. The record is 134 in Macon County’s 70-64 victory against Pacelli in 2010.
Here are some of the other top individual performances from last week:
- Brookwood PK Brandon Morrow kicked five field goals, one in overtime, in a 30-27 victory against Grayson in a game that was a must-win for either team to make the playoffs. Morrow's kicks covered 42, 46, 47, 20 and 31 yards.
- Burke County QB Donquell Green scored five touchdowns, one on a pass reception, and passed for two, accounting for all seven of his team's touchdowns in a 49-43 overtime victory against Wayne County in a game for the Region 3-AAAA championship. Green was 7-of-11 passing for 226 yards and rushed for 178 yards on 26 carries.
- Drew RB Marquis Terry scored seven touchdowns, rushed for 219 yards and caught six passes for 100 yards in a 77-56 loss to McIntosh. Terry scored six touchdowns rushing, one receiving.
- Heard County RB Duranta Dunson rushed for 243 yards and scored three touchdowns, made 19 tackles, broke up two passes and caused two fumbles in a 42-19 victory against previously unbeaten Bowdon. Dunson broke Carlos Brown's record for touchdowns in a career with 67.
- McIntosh RB Victor Nguyen scored seven touchdowns and had 411 all-purpose yards in a 77-56 victory against Drew. Ngunen rushed for 222 yards on 19 carries and five touchdowns, caught two passes for 70 yards and two touchdowns and had 119 yards in kickoff returns.
Best of the rest in metro Atlanta
- Arabia Mountain DL Kayton Samuels had 10 solo tackles, 10 assists, a sack and three tackles for losses in a 38-20 victory against Lakeside-Atlanta. Arabia Mountain finished 7-3, setting a school record for victories.
- BEST Academy RB/LB Deonta Hill rushed for 64 yards and scored two touchdowns, made two sacks and forced a fumble in a 48-14 victory against Douglass.
- Collins Hill RB Tyler Henderson rushed for 201 yards in a 45-34 victory against Mill Creek.
- Dunwoody HB/DB Aaron Alexander rushed for 80 yards and scored two touchdowns, caught three passes, made four tackles and intercepted a pass in a 31-14 victory against Southwest DeKalb. Dunwoody hadn't beaten Southwest DeKalb in 20 years.
- Eagle's Landing Christian QB Dalton Etheridge rushed for 203 yards and three touchdowns on 14 carries and passed for 131 yards and a touchdown in a 35-0 victory against Landmark Christian.
- Eagle's Landing QB Bradley Dewberry passed for 194 yards and a touchdown, scored a touchdown and intercepted two passes in a 31-0 victory against Riverdale.
- Hughes DL D'Andre Walker had three sacks and forced two fumbles in a 30-0 victory against Westlake.
- Mount Paran Christian LB Nick Sbravati had 18 tackles and a sack in a 24-14 victory against Trion.
- Newton QB Romario Johnson threw five touchdown passes, completing 20 of 33 attempts for 212 yards in a 49-30 victory over Morrow. Johnson also rushed for 131 yards and a touchdown.
- Norcross DB Riswan Issahaku intercepted two passes and broke up three others in a 59-14 victory against Meadowcreek.
- Riverwood QB Grant Drakeford rushed for 232 yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries in a 40-37 victory against Northview. The win clinched Riverwood's first playoff berth in 12 seasons.
- St. Pius PK Thomas O'Leary put five of five kickoffs in the end zone, was 4-for-4 on extra points and made field goals of 46 and 21 yards in a 41-14 victory against Decatur.