Here are five players to watch when the Falcons face the Dolphins at 7 p.m. tonight at Hard Rock Stadium in their exhibition season opener:
1. Garland vs. Suh. Ben Garland is slated to get the start over Wes Schweitzer at right guard and will face Miami’s Ndamukong Suh. So, we’ll know if he’s ready after the first series of the game. Schweitzer will also get some action. Miami’s rookie defensive tackles Davon Godchaux (sixth round, LSU) and Vincent Taylor (sixth round, Oklahoma State) have had good camps and will give the Falcons’ guards, including fourth round pick Sean Harlow, a good test.
2. Poe’s impact. Defensive tackle Dontari Poe was signed to add some beef and power to the front line. We’ll get our first look at him in some real action.
3. Kazee’s time to shine. Falcons rookie free safety Damontae Kazee will see his first action at his new position. He played cornerback in college, but has looked comfortable in his move to safety.
4. Duke Riley show. The Falcons are also high on rookie linebacker Duke Riley. He’s received some time with the first-team defense.
5. Brian Hill on the loose. The rookie fifth-round pick from Wyoming should get plenty of action. Hill rushed for 1,860 yards and scored 22 touchdowns last season, as a junior, and he caught 41 passes in three college seasons. He’s in a battle to win the top backup running back spot with Terron Ward. Ward was a solid backup in 2016. He had 31 carries for 151 yards (4.9 yards per carry).
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.