Georgia’s Ron Courson is part of an SEC task force to guide the conference’s return of athletics activities, including team gatherings, practices, conditioning and competition.
All 14 universities are represented on the SEC’s Return to Activity and Medical Guidance Task Force. It began meeting by video conference in April and updates from these meetings are provided to SEC presidents and chancellors and athletic directors at regular intervals. Any policy changes related to return to athletics activity will be approved by the conference membership.
“As the Southeastern Conference Office continues to closely monitor and learn about COVID-19 and associated public health information, this task force of medical professionals has begun to provide the guidance necessary to make decisions related to the return to athletics activities for SEC student-athletes and to assist in our collaboration with colleague conferences in determining a safe return to athletics competition,” SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey said in a statement. “The expertise of these medical professionals is playing an important role in our continuing focus on the health and well-being of SEC student-athletes.”
The task force is responsible for identifying recommended protocols and best practices for guiding the safe return to in-person on-campus meetings, individual workouts, out-of-season activities and skill instruction, and practice activities for student-athletes and coaches; identifying the desired amount of practice and training time required to safely acclimate student-athletes into competition; and identifying opportunities for a return to competition, including considerations for student-athletes, administrators, support staff, officials and fans.
Members of the task force are:
- Jimmy Robinson, University of Alabama, Head Team Physician and Medical Director
- Chris Arnold, University of Arkansas, Orthopedic Surgeon/Team Physician
- Mike Goodlett, Auburn University, Chief Medical Officer/Team Physician
- Jay Clugston, University of Florida, Team Physician
- Ron Courson, University of Georgia, Senior Associate Athletic Director/Sports Medicine
- Jim Madaleno, University of Kentucky, Executive Associate Athletic Director/Sports Medicine and Performance
- Catherine O’Neal, LSUHSC Assistant Professor of Medicine, Infectious Diseases
- Marshall Crowther, University of Mississippi, Medical Director/Sports Medicine Physician
- Cliff Story, Mississippi State University, Director of University Health Services
- Stevan Whitt, University of Missouri, Associate Professor of Medicine, Divisions of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and Infectious Diseases; Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, University of Missouri School of Medicine, Chief Clinical Officer
- Zoe Foster, University of South Carolina, Program Director, Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship
- Chris Klenck, University of Tennessee, Head Team Physician
- Shawn Gibbs, Texas A&M University, Dean of School of Public Health
- Warne Fitch, Vanderbilt University, Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine, Associate Professor of Orthopedics
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism. AJC.com. Atlanta. News. Now.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.