The Falcons have never had the 14th pick in the NFL draft.
The Falcons are slated to pick 14th overall in this month’s draft, which is set for April 25-27 in Nashville.
“At 14, you know there is going to be a legit player that you’re going to be really excited about,” Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said. “Again, it’s a really interesting draft this year. The people that are going to be around there through the first 20-something picks in my mind (will be good football players).”
Here’s a look at some of the 14th overall picks:
1. Last five years: The 14th overall picks over the past five years list only Chicago cornerback Kyle Fuller as having earned a trip to the Pro Bowl. Last season, Fuller was named to the Pro Bowl and was named All-Pro.
Fuller was the 14th overall pick in 2014.
In 2015, Miami picked wide receiver DeVante Parker. The Raiders picked safety Karl Joseph 14th in 2016.
In 2017, the Eagles selected defensive end Derek Barnett and in 2018 the Saints picked defensive end Marcus Davenport.
Joseph has started 32 games and played in 40. The Falcons selected Keanu Neal three picks after Joseph at 17th overall in 2016.
Neal was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2017 after his second season in the league.
2. Kelly or Revis. Since 1980, the best player selected with the 14th pick overall is either former Buffalo quarterback Jim Kelly (1983) or former cornerback Darrelle Revis (2007 by the Jets).
Kelly is a Pro Football Hall of Famer. Revis is likely a first-ballot hall of famer when his five-year waiting period is up.
3. Best Falcons pick. The Falcons have had the 13th pick three times and selected wide receiver Mike Pritchard in 1991; quarterback Chris Miller in 1987; and offensive lineman Mike Kenn in 1978. Kenn has been a Pro Football Hall of Fame semifinalist.
4. Other top 14 picks: Seattle selected safety Earl Thomas with the 14th overall pick in 2010. Other top 14s include: safety Malcolm Jenkins (Saints, 2009); linebacker Thomas Davis (Panthers, 2005); and running back Eddie George (Oilers, 1996).
5. Falcons in neighborhood. The Falcons selected linebacker Keith Brooking with the 12th overall pick in 1998.
Defensive back Michael Booker was selected with the 11th pick in 1997.
Tim Green was selected 17th overall pick in 1986 and Mike Pitts was selected 16th overall in 1983.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.