Former NFL player Darren Sharper was in Los Angeles police custody Thursday night, having turned himself in after New Orleans police issued an arrest warrant alleging he raped two women in that city last year.
Sharper had already been charged with raping and drugging two women in Los Angeles and was free on bail.
The former New Orleans Saints player surrendered at his attorney’s office to Los Angeles Police Department detectives. Police said he is being detained on the fugitive warrant from New Orleans.
In addition to Sharper, detectives and investigators with the Orleans Parish district attorney’s office obtained an arrest warrant for 26-year-old Eric Nunez, described as an acquaintance of the former football player.
Sharper is now accused of raping at least eight women and committing sexual battery against a woman in Miami.
New Orleans police previously had said they were investigating at least one rape allegation against Sharper.
Authorities revealed that detectives had learned that two woman were allegedly assaulted by Sharper, both on the night of Sept. 23.
“New information uncovered also indicates that Nunez allegedly raped both women at the same location,” said Remi Braden, a department spokeswoman.
In issuing a statement Thursday, the department noted that the crime of aggravated rape carried a potential life sentence of hard labor.
Los Angeles County prosecutors charged Sharper with two counts of rape and five other drug charges in connection with two incidents in October and January. He is also being investigated in Las Vegas and Tempe, Ariz.
Sharper, 38, who has pleaded not guilty to the other charges, was ordered to surrender his passport, stay in Los Angeles and avoid all women. He is free on $1 million bail.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.