UGA tailback Ken Malcome to transfer

Ken Malcome saw the writing on the wall, and it spelled "exit."

Georgia's rising junior tailback out of Decatur announced his intention to transfer on Wednesday. That decision will come to no surprise for anybody paying attention this past season. Malcome received 14 percent of  the Bulldogs' carries. The 85 of the other 86 percent were being distribued between freshmen Todd Gurley (227 for 1,385 yards and 17 touchdowns) and Keith Marshall (117-759-8).

“I have made this decision because I think I can get more playing time some place else,” Malcome said in a statement released through UGA.  “I have enjoyed my time at Georgia and appreciate the opportunity that Coach (Mark) Richt and the other coaches have given me here.  I look forward to my next challenge.”

Malcome, a 6-0, 226-pound native of Decatur, carried the ball 57 times this season for 274 yards (4.8 avg.) and two touchdowns.  He started the 2012 opener and played in 10 games this past season.

Malcome finishes his career at Georgia with 446 yards rushing and two scores to go along with two catches for 23 yards in two seasons.

"We are very appreciative of Ken's contributions to our program and will certainly assist him any way we can in finding a school to continue his career,” Georgia coach Mark Rich said.  “We wish him nothing but the best."

It wasn't the first time Malcome has expressed disappointment in his station at Georgia. He quit the team in October of 2011 only to return at the behest of Richt one day later.

X