* The Bulls had four double-digit scorers in Derrick Rose (20), Pau Gasol (19), Aaron Brooks (16) and Jimmy Butler (15).
* Every Bulls starter had a minus rating with Taj Gibson a minus-10.
* Horford recorded his 203rd career double-double, moving him into an eighth place tie with Cliff Hagan on the Hawks’ all-time list.
* The Hawks held a 17-6 advantage in fast-break points.
* The Bulls outrebounded the Hawks 58-47, including 18-7 on the offensive glass.
* The Hawks led by as many as 15 points and the Bulls led by as many as 13 points in a game that featured just three lead changes.
* The Bulls played a video tribute to Hawks guard Kirk Hinrich, who was obtained at the NBA trade deadline in February. It drew cheers from the United Center crowd and several waves of acknowledgement from Hinrich.
* Paul Millsap was a nominee for the NBA’s Player of the Week award in the Eastern Conference. The Cavalier’s LeBron James was the winner.
The Hawks’ scoring edge in the second quarter, a run that enabled them to erase a nine-point deficit and build a lead they would hold for much of the game.
Quote of the game
“Bonehead play, maybe a little carry over from getting hit the other night. Can’t have those types of plays toward the end of a game.” – Paul Millsap on his foul of Bulls’ Jimmy Butler for a four-point play in the final seconds, one game after requiring 10 stitches to close a cut over his left eye.
The Hawks started very slowly as they missed their first six shots and made just 32 percent of their field goals (8 of 32) in the first quarter. They finished the game shooting 42.4 percent (36 of 85) and made just 22.7 percent (5 of 22) from 3-point range. They had a 30-point second quarter and a 28-point third quarter. The Hawks only committed eight turnovers. The offense was rolling in the middle two quarters before stalling in the fourth.
It was not the Hawks’ best effort of late but it was still very good. The 14 points allowed in the second quarter enabled the Hawks to erase an early deficit. They held the Bulls without a field goal for nearly eight minutes. Millsap had six blocks. Horford had a key block of Rose in the fourth quarter. The Hawks got several key rebounds in the final two minutes to seal the game at the free-throw line. Millsap’s foul of Butler on a 3-point make was costly.