Here’s what to know about the Braves on Friday:
1. The Braves have an MLB-high-tying five Gold Glove finalists. Outfielders Ender Inciarte, Nick Markakis, Adam Duvall, along with first baseman Freddie Freeman and starter Julio Teheran, are eligible for the award.
Inciarte is aiming for his fourth consecutive honor, while Freeman could become the first Braves first baseman to achieve such. Winners will be announced Nov. 4.
» More: Growth of Braves third basemen
2. Starting pitching is the Braves organization’s lifeblood. They certainly have a surplus, but that won’t stop rumors of acquiring a front-line arm.
The Braves could reportedly dip into the Patrick Corbin market. They could also explore (however unlikely) big names such as Jacob deGrom and Madison Bumgarner.
3. Arizona re-signed Eduardo Escobar before free agency. He’s coming off a career-best year and could’ve been a realistic target for the Braves.
Still, a versatile player such as Escobar would be ideal. The Braves need another Charlie Culberson on their bench.
4. Boston enters Friday just two wins from a World Series title. They looked the part against Atlanta, winning both series, the last of which was topped off by a comeback after trailing 7-1.
The Braves aren’t at Boston’s level – obviously, about no one is. On the National League spectrum, the Braves could be a couple of moves away from making noise. The Dodgers’ offseason will be among the more intriguing itself, especially if they again fall short in the Fall Classic.
5. After a somewhat slow start, Cristian Pache is heating up at the Arizona Fall League. The Braves top outfield prospect is hitting .310 with a couple of doubles and five RBIs in nine games.
Pache will be the next great Braves prospect to follow. Soon to turn 20, he’s probably another year away from the majors at an optimistic projection.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism. AJC.com. Atlanta. News. Now.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.
With the largest team in the state, the AJC reports what’s really going on with your tax dollars and your elected officials. Subscribe today. Visit the AJC's Georgia Navigator for the latest in Georgia politics.
Your subscription to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism. Visit the AJC's Georgia Navigator for the latest in Georgia politics.
More from In The Game with Harrah's