1. At least five children were reportedly killed. The bus, which was carrying 37 students from Woodmore Elementary School, careened into a tree Monday afternoon, killing five children at the scene. At a late-night news conference, Chattanooga police said six kids were critically injured, six admitted to hospitals, and 20 were treated and released from hospitals. [Read here]
2. Kanye West hospitalized hours after canceling tour. Hours after canceling the remainder of his 2016 tour, Kanye West has reportedly been hospitalized “for his own health and safety.” West is under observation at a Los Angeles-area hospital. [Read here]
3. Pepper spray used in fight with parents and kids at school. DeKalb County school police used pepper spray to take control of a large fight involving as many as eight adults and students at Redan High, according to a newly-released report. The report sheds new light on the incident last Wednesday, in which one of the participants was said to be armed with a handgun. [Read here]
4. Cobb store sells $82M lotto ticket; money still unclaimed. A Marietta gas station sold a winning Mega Millions ticket. The $82 million ticket was sold Friday at the White Water Chevron, located at 334 Cobb Parkway S. The numbers were 31-32-49-55-58, and the Mega Ball was 15. [Read here]
5. Hawks ask fans for arena ideas; Braves unveil stadium patch. The Hawks are asking fans for input on the planned renovation of Philips Arena. In a survey posted on social media and the team’s website, the Hawks list “possible aspects” of the renovation and ask fans to rank them from 1 (“not at all exciting”) to 10 (“very exciting”). The list provides a glimpse of the possibilities the Hawks and their architects have in mind. [Read here]
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.