67-year-old man bitten by shark off North Carolina coast

ExploreMore popular and trending stories

Hyde County EMS confirmed to WSOC-TV that a man was attacked by a shark Wednesday on Ocracoke Island in the Outer Banks.

A 67-year-old man was airlifted off the island after being bitten by a grey, 6- to 7-foot shark, Emergency Services Director Justin Gibbs said.

The victim was just past the first breaker in front of the lifeguard tower on the public access beach. A lifeguard said they saw the man being pulled underwater by the shark around 12:10 p.m., officials said.

The man was bitten on the left side near his ribcage. The most significant injuries were to his hip where there were some tendons exposed. He also received injuries to his lower legs and both hands.

He was able to swim in on his own. He was conscious and talking, officials said.

The victim was airlifted to Bidant Medical Center in Greenville, North Carolina.

The attack is the third one in the last week on the Outer Banks, the seventh this season in North Carolina and eighth overall including an attack in South Carolina.

The man was visiting the island from Massachusetts.

Hyde County EMS officials said they will have two ambulances with paramedic level service available with a third on call for the Fourth of July weekend.

RECENT ATTACKS:

SHARK ATTACK HISTORICAL DATA: 

CLICK BELOW to see more about shark attacks in North Carolina (Source: Shark Research Institute, Inc

.)

Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com: