Homeless man saves children from fire

Anival Angulo lives on the streets. 

He was walking through a neighborhood Friday when he saw billowing smoke. 

Then he heard the children’s cries. 

>> Read more trending news

He jumped the locked gate and saw a girl standing at the entrance of the smoke-filled apartment, according to Las Vegas Fire and Rescue.

She couldn’t open the steel door, so Angulo, 36, pulled on it until the dead-bolt unlatched. The girl ran to Angulo, then wrapped her arms around his waist, Las Vegas Fire and Rescue officials said

Angulo then saw the tiny leg of an infant and pulled the other child to safety as well.

"(I) went to the door and saw the babies so I jumped the fence,” Angulo told KSNV. “I wrapped up the babies and pulled them out. I knew I had to get them out."

Food was cooking on a stove at the children’s grandfather’s apartment when grease caught fire around 11:30 a.m., according to Las Vegas Fire Rescue.

The children were taken to the hospital where they were treated for smoke inhalation. 

The grandfather was in another part of the house when the fire started and was separated from the children. He got out of the apartment through a window. 

The fire damaged the kitchen, living room and left severe smoke damage throughout the unit, officials said.

The American Red Cross is helping the family displaced by the fire, according to KVVU

“It's obvious if this person hadn't been there, these children could’ve been burned or may have been killed in the fire,” Tim Szymanski, with Las Vegas Fire Rescue, told KSNV.

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Atlanta City Hall: Reed repayments top $50k
  2. 2 Metro Atlanta man admits he made $670K by running a fake charity
  3. 3 WEATHER-TRAFFIC: Eastern Georgia to get bulk of rain

More from AJC