Anthony Scaramucci, a member of Donald Trump's transition team and vice chair of the presidential inaugural committee, told the BBC earlier this week that "Elton John is going to be doing (the) concert on the mall for Inauguration."
"This will be the first American president in U.S. history that enters the White House with a pro-gay rights stance," Scaramucci, who is a founder and co-manager of the hedge fund SkyBridge Capital, said.
But after the statement, the British musician's spokeswoman said that the claim was false.
"He will NOT be performing at Trump's Inauguration," the spokeswoman, Fran Curtis, told CNN in an email Wednesday. "Incorrect," she told the New York Times.
Curtis told BBC "there is no truth in (the claim) at all."
John, who said in June that Trump would marginalize people if he became president, was outspoken about his views on Trump, suggesting that the president-elect is unfit for the position, saying "We need a humanitarian in the White House, not a barbarian."
The 69-year-old singer headlined a Hillary Clinton fundraiser in March.
"Let's drop the rhetoric," Scaramucci wrote on Twitter Wednesday. "It was an honest impression that I got wrong. It was a fast-paced interview, and you can see I thought it was true."
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.