A flood of the Miami River in 1913 started the decline of the area. The neighborhood further eroded throughout the 20th century.
Plans for a highway to cut through the neighborhood in the 1960s brought renewed attention and investment to the area. But by that time, the name "Oregon" was essentially forgotten until a photo of the Oregon Pumper Firehouse was found in 1972.
The district was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Presently, the area consists of 12 city blocks.