Emergency crews investigated after a reported incident occurred on board a plane at Charlotte Douglas International Airport, but officials with the Federal Bureau of Investigation Charlotte said in a statement there was no public threat, according to reports.
WSOC reported that dozens of people were escorted off the plane and first responders came to the aircraft.
“The FBI and the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department responded to the Charlotte-Douglas International Airport on May 19, 2019, after a reported security concern,” FBI Charlotte said in a statement, WSOC reported. “A variety of steps were taken out of an abundance of caution including deplaning passengers and rescreening them, along with a thorough search of the JetBlue plane, which was leaving Charlotte for JFK.”
Officials have confirmed the investigation involved a Jet Blue airplane departing from Charlotte, North Carolina, heading to New York on Sunday morning.
A JetBlue spokesperson told WSOC the flight was delayed.
“JetBlue Flight 218, scheduled to depart from Charlotte to New York this morning, has been delayed for additional security screenings out of an abundance of caution. Local law enforcement is on-site and we are working to get customers on their way to New York as soon as possible.”
According to David Lathan, a passenger on the plane from Rockingham, North Carolina, the aircraft was taxiing to the runway when the pilot had to stop. Lathan claims the pilot told the passengers there had been a bomb threat and gave them directions.
“He said that there's been a bomb threat,” Lathan told WSOC, adding that the pilot said, “There’s going to be a policeman come up to the door. They’re going to open the door. When they do, get your luggage, and exit the airplane.”
No other information has been released.