Couple dies after keyless car mistakenly left on in garage, officials say

Cesare Fontanini, a Highland Park Fire Department lieutenant, found his parents dead when he stopped by their home Monday morning. 

Pasquale Fontanini, 79, was found unresponsive on the first floor; he had apparently heard an alarm and tried to turn off the car and open the garage but was overcome, authorities said. Rina Fontanini, 76, was discovered unconscious upstairs.

More trending stories

Authorities believe the couple’s Lincoln Continental may have been left running for hours, based on the levels of carbon monoxide in the home when first responders arrived.

This is not the first time keyless ignitions have been blamed for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Read more here

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

X