Police have taken a man into custody who they believe was responsible for a slaying in the Virginia-Highland neighborhood last month, according to an unconfirmed media report.
The Atlanta Police Department announced last week that five men were in custody and were suspects in a string of home invasions and the death of Charles Boyer. They said Friday that officers were searching for a sixth suspect.
Now, Channel 2 Action News is reporting that a sixth man is in custody. Atlanta police would not confirm the Tuesday evening report by Channel 2, also known as WSB-TV.
"The information in WSB's report was not released by the Atlanta Police Department," Sgt. Curtis Davenport told the AJC. He said Atlanta police had no comment about the ongoing investigation, but added: "We are continuing to pursue all leads in these cases and hope to make an announcement soon."
The Channel 2 report, citing anonymous sources, said the man in custody was linked, like the five already in custody, to a string of home invasions and that the man would be charged with the murder of Boyer.
Boyer, 39, was shot dead around 10 p.m. on Nov. 22 outside an apartment building on Virginia Avenue near the intersection with Monroe Drive. He and his girlfriend were getting out of their car when three masked men demanded her apartment keys and started marching the couple to her apartment.
Boyer was shot in a struggle, but his girlfriend escaped without injury, police have said.