PARK(ing) Day is an annual global event where citizens, artists and activists temporarily transform parking spaces into public places to highlight the need for more urban open space. In Atlanta, Livable Buckhead will host a PARK(ing) Day celebration at Lenox Square, where 30 businesses and organizations will transform the parking lot from an expanse of gray to a sea of green.
“PARK(ing) Day is a chance to turn things upside down and consider some of the ways we could make use of land if we reduce the need for parking,” said Denise Starling, executive director of Livable Buckhead. “The more that people use transit, carpool, bike or walk to their destinations, the less acreage that needs to be devoted to storing cars. Fewer parking lots means more opportunities for parks and green spaces that contribute to our quality of life. PARK(ing) Day is an inventive way to showcase the importance of parks and I can’t wait to see what kind of spaces our participants create.”
From 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 15, 40 spots in the Lenox Square parking lot along Peachtree Road will be transformed into mini parks as part of PARK(ing) Day. The event also includes activities for the Buckhead lunch time crowd, such as food trucks, guided yoga sessions for both adults and children, and Segway tours. Each of the mini-parks will have interactive elements as wel, and visitors will be asked to vote for their favorites.
Planned mini-parks include:
• An infinite forest created by the 2016 PARK(ing) Day winning team, HGOR with Collins Cooper & Carusi
• A meditation tent by lululemon
• A meadow in the city modeled after Chicago’s Millennium Park, created by Pond
• A pen featuring several four-legged crew members from Get Your Goats, a company that rents goat herds to clear brush
• A backyard BBQ hosted by Atlanta History Center
• A solar cell phone charging station hosted by Gables
• A small fitness boxing ring by Sweet Science Fitness Boxing Club
• The Great Atlanta Parking Pardon by Lyft, where anyone with a parking violation can receive a $25 credit for Lyft Line