Lightning caused house fires in Lilburn and Lawrenceville overnight Monday, said Capt. Tommy Rutledge of Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services.
Both occurred shortly before midnight. Firefighters responded to the first, on Dundee Drive in Lilburn, at 11:45 p.m. Smoke and flames could be seen coming from the attic and roof of the wood-frame house when a fire crew arrived, Rutledge said.
READ | $10K winning Mega Millions tickets sold in Atlanta, Gwinnett
The occupants, four adults and one child, heard a “loud boom” during a thunderstorm and went outside to find the roof was on fire. Lightning may have stuck a tall tree, which fell into the home and started the fire, Rutledge said.
The fire was contained to the attic and firefighters were able to extinguish it. There was extensive damage to the attic and roof, and water and smoke damage throughout the house. No occupants or firefighters were injured.
A fire crew responded to the second fire, on Brookshire Place in Lawrenceville, at 11:51 p.m. An occupant called 911 and said the home was filling with smoke after a lightning strike.
Firefighters found a fire burning in a chimney chase on the side of the home. The fire caused damage to an exterior wall and the chimney of the home
Like Gwinnett County News on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter and Instagram
Stay up to the minute with breaking news on Channel 2 Action News This Morning
About the Author
Credit: Jason Getz / Jason.Getz@ajc.com