Water bottle, sunscreen, alternative parking plan.
These are all things you’re going to need when heading to Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park from the end of October to just before Thanksgiving.
The park announced on Facebook that its roads and parking lots will be closed starting on Oct. 29 and lasting two to four weeks.
“Preserving roads and parking areas are critical in maintaining park access and visitor enjoyment,” the park said in the post.
Estimates have them hopefully wrapping up just before Thanksgiving, one of the park’s busiest times of the year. The inside of the museum should also be looking spiffy, as it just underwent a $59K lighting overhaul.
Below you can find details on the intermittent closures.
Week of Oct. 29:
• Mountain road and visitor center parking lot:
- The mountain road will be closed the entire week. Pedestrians, hikers, and joggers can’t use the mountain road while paving is underway.
- The visitor center parking lot will be closed starting Tuesday (Oct. 28) and will remain closed until Friday (Nov. 2). Visitors may park at the Old Highway 41 Overflow Lot to access the park.
Week of Nov. 5:
• Old Highway 41 overflow parking lot and Burnt Hickory parking lot:
- The Old Highway 41 overflow parking lot will be closed from Monday (Nov. 5) through Thursday (Nov. 8).
- The Burnt Hickory parking lot will be closed Wednesday (Nov. 7) through Friday (Nov. 9).
Week of Nov. 12:
• Illinois Monument road and parking lot and Cheatham Hill road parking lot:
- The Illinois Monument road and parking lot will be closed Tuesday (Nov. 13) through Thursday (Nov. 5).
- The Cheatham Hill road parking lot will be closed Wednesday (Nov. 14) through Friday (Nov. 16).
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.