DeKalb County has extended its coat drive as winter-like temperatures hit the metro area.
The county is accepting new or gently used coats until Dec. 21, the first day of winter. The county previously held coat donations at the Lucious Sanders Recreation Center until Nov. 30. The extended deadline was announced this week and includes other recreational centers.
The donations come as temperatures reached the 20s Thursday morning. Much of this week has seen 30-degree lows. This weekend’s weather is expected to be wet and windy with temperatures barely above 40 degrees, according to Channel 2 Action News.
Last winter temperatures were as low as the 30s in metro Atlanta, and DeKalb received between one and two inches of snow.
Donations will be accepted from any of the centers listed below from 1 to 5 p.m. The DeKalb fire rescue headquarters will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. for donations.
- Fire Rescue Headquarters,1950 W. Exchange Place, 3rd floor, Tucker, GA 30084
- Browns Mill Recreation Center, 5101 Browns Mill Road, Lithonia, GA 30038
- Exchange Recreation Center, 2771 Columbia Drive, Decatur, GA 30034
- Gresham Recreation Center, 3113 Gresham Road, Atlanta, GA 30316
- Hamilton Recreation Center, 3263 Chapel Street, Scottdale, GA 30079
- Lucious Sanders Recreation Center, 2484 Bruce Street, Lithonia, GA 30058
- Mason Mill Recreation Center, 1340-B McConnell Drive, Decatur, GA 30033
- Midway Recreation Center, 3181 Midway Road, Decatur, GA 30032
- N.H. Scott Recreation Center, 2230 Tilson Road, Decatur, GA 30032
- Porter Sanford III Performing Arts & Community Center, 3181 Rainbow Drive, Decatur, 30034
- Tobie Grant Recreation Center, 644 Parkdale Drive, Scottdale, GA 30079
In other news:
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.