Rhodes said that the hot plate “probably was on for a couple of hours. The food had burned into it. It caught on fire and set a chair on fire beside it, but [the chair] just smoldered.”
The fire, which Rhodes said caused no structural damage to the two-room apartment, was the fourth blaze overnight in DeKalb.
Earlier, firefighters doused fires at a home on Cloverdale Drive in south DeKalb and at apartment buildings on Place Fontaine near Lithonia and on Austin Circle in north DeKalb. The only injury in those fires was a minor injury to the homeowner on Cloverdale Drive.
-- Staff photographer John Spink contributed to this article.