A fire that may have been sparked by Christmas tree lights caused damage to a house in Dacula. (Gwinnett County Fire Department)

Christmas tree lights suspected in Dacula house fire

A home was badly damaged and a dog died in a Dacula house fire that may have been sparked by the lights on a family’s live Christmas tree.

None of the three people inside was seriously injured in the blaze at the two-story wood house on Fort Daniels Drive on Thursday morning, Gwinnett County fire spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said.

The fire caused heavy damage to the home’s second floor where the tree was located.

One of the occupants said she heard a loud popping sound and went into the hallway to investigate, then saw a glow in the direction of the Christmas tree and dense smoke filling the second floor, Rutledge said

According to firefighters, several of the smoke alarms inside the home had no batteries. There was one working smoke alarm found on the lower level outside the bedrooms.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.