A fire at a downtown Atlanta hotel Thursday morning sent one employee to the hospital, blocked roads and resulted in an evacuation, according to officials.
Normal operations have resumed at the Westin Peachtree Plaza, but the day got off to a chaotic start after a fire in the laundry room and a vent shaft.
Two employees complained of smoke inhalation. Baker Street and Ted Turner Drive were shut down. And the hotel was evacuated so officials could remove smoke from the building in the 200 block of Peachtree Street.
While one of the employees was taken to a local hospital, the other was not, Atlanta Fire Rescue said in a tweet. The condition of the employee in the hospital was not known.
“It is still undetermined how the fire started,” fire Sgt. Cortez Stafford said.
In other news:
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.