Funeral services set for 8-year-old Secoriea Turner

Secoreia Turner

Combined ShapeCaption
Secoreia Turner

Funeral services have been set for Secoriea Turner, the 8-year-old Atlanta girl who was shot and killed on July 4.

The family has set the funeral for 11 a.m. Wednesday at New Calvary Missionary Baptist Church, 1690 Melrose Drive in Atlanta.

Because of concerns about COVID-19, the memorial service will be private and by invitation only.

RelatedYoung Atlanta shooting victim was "full of joy"

The family, however, encourages the public to attend the viewing, which will be held from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday at Murray Brothers Funeral Home, 1199 Utoy Springs Road S.W. Atlanta. Services will be streamed online at

Secoriea was shot while in the car with her mother and a family friend. They encountered a group of armed people blocking the road near the Wendy’s restaurant on University Avenue, where activists and others had refused to leave until the city met their demands for police reform.

MoreMayor said council member interceded on armed protesters' behalf

There have also been calls to turn the site into a memorial or community center.

The restaurant parking lot is the site where Rayshard Brooks, a Black man, was killed by an Atlanta police officer, since fired and facing felony murder and other charges, on June 12.

Related'For Secoriea Turner': Calls to stop the violence

Charmaine Turner, Secoriea’s mother, said the group started shooting at the car as she was trying to go around the roadblock. She said when her daughter was hit, she called out “mama” or “mommy.”

Atlanta police Lt. Pete Malecki said investigators believe the shots were intentionally fired after the Jeep Cherokee that Turner was riding in crossed a “makeshift roadblock that was manned by numerous armed individuals.”

MoreMourners pray, cops seek answers in shooting of Secoriea Turner

A rising Kipp Ways Primary School third grader, Secoriea was among five people shot to death over the Independence Day holiday weekend in Atlanta. Three were fatally shot on July 4.

About the Author