Spalding deputy leaving hospital 3 weeks after suffering spinal break in crash

Deputy Matthew Everett

Credit: Spalding County Sheriff's Office

Credit: Spalding County Sheriff's Office

Deputy Matthew Everett

A Spalding County deputy seriously injured in a crash earlier this month was set to leave the hospital Friday, his wife said. But the recovery will continue for Deputy Matthew Everett, who suffered a broken vertebra and a broken leg in the July 7 crash.

“He is doing well today considering all things. He’s kind of in the pit of the worst stages right now,” Kristy Plumley Everett wrote in a Facebook post shared by the sheriff’s office. “Everything has been much more extensive and ten times as painful as we and the doctors all thought. He’s making it, though.”

RELATED: Spalding deputy suffers spinal break after patrol car was hit by hydroplaning SUV

The 40-year-old deputy, a father of five, was on duty at the time of the 6:50 a.m. crash, which took place near the Pike-Spalding county line, according to the Georgia State Patrol. Investigators believe the driver of a Ford Explorer hydroplaned, spun out of control and crossed into Everett’s lane.

“Deputy Everett did all he could do to avoid the crash, and his actions possibly saved his life and the life of the other driver,” the sheriff’s office said in a news release after the crash.

Many have asked about an update on Deputy Matthew Everett. Deputy Everett was injured in serious on-duty automobile...

Posted by Spalding County Sheriff's Office on Friday, July 31, 2020

Everett underwent surgery to have a 4-inch screw inserted through his spine, according to his wife. Due to the coronavirus, Everett’s wife was initially unable to be with him at the hospital.

After a difficult day recovering Thursday, Everett’s wife posted on Facebook to thank those who have offered prayers and support to her husband. A GoFundMe page was created to assist the family. Later, she updated with positive news.

“The doctor just left and so far the screw is holding well so far,” she wrote. “He’ll re-X-ray and check every week or two and keep a watch on it. Hopefully the other surgery won’t be needed. The drain tube was able to come out but BEST PART — we’re busting out of here today.”