Warrant reveals new details about fatal shooting of Atlanta rapper Trouble

Suspect’s mother helped police with his surrender
Atlanta rapper Trouble was shot and killed in Rockdale County on Sunday.

Credit: Robb Cohen

Credit: Robb Cohen

Atlanta rapper Trouble was shot and killed in Rockdale County on Sunday.

The mother of a man accused of fatally shooting Atlanta rapper Trouble was instrumental in bringing him into custody, according to authorities in Rockdale County.

Trouble, whose real name was Mariel Semonte Orr and was also known as Skoob, was shot to death at an apartment on St. James Drive around 3:20 a.m. Sunday. Rockdale sheriff’s deputies quickly identified Jamichael Jones, 33, of Atlanta, as the suspect and obtained warrants for his arrest.

Deputies began visiting places Monday where Jones was known to frequent. One of those locations was his mother’s home.

Sheriff Eric Levett said Jones spoke to his mother by phone, and his mother along with sheriff’s deputies convinced him to surrender. That night, Jones was met by deputies in the parking lot of a Clayton County hospital and arrested, Channel 2 Action News reported.

“His mother was a huge resource in helping us apprehend him,” Levett told reporters following his arrest Monday night. “Nobody wakes up in the morning wanting a bad outcome.”

Jamichael Jones, 33, of Atlanta, surrendered to Rockdale County sheriff's deputies at a hospital in Clayton County on Monday night. He was wanted in the shooting death of Atlanta rapper Trouble.

Credit: Channel 2 Action News

icon to expand image

Credit: Channel 2 Action News

Investigators determined Orr had been visiting a woman at the Conyers apartment complex when he was shot once in the chest. Authorities said Jones and Orr did not know each other.

According to Jones’ arrest warrant obtained by Channel 2, the woman told deputies she and Orr were asleep in bed when she woke up to Jones, her ex-boyfriend, punching her in the face. The woman told deputies Jones then began fighting with Orr, and when she began to help, the suspect pulled out a handgun and shot the rapper. Jones then ran away, the warrant states.

Jones is being held in the Rockdale jail on charges of felony murder, home invasion and aggravated assault. He was denied bond Tuesday morning. He is expected in court again June 15.

The woman told investigators that she and Jones dated for three years but broke up after he punched her in the nose about a week earlier following an argument, court records show. She hadn’t seen Jones since then, and he had not come back to the apartment where they both lived, she said.

Trouble first broke out into the hip-hop scene in 2011 with his debut mixtape “December 17th” in 2011, which included the song “Bussin” that later featured rappers Yo Gotti and Waka Flocka on the remix. He released his first major album, “Edgewood” with producer Mike Will Made It, seven years later and included appearances by other high-profile artists such as Offset, Quavo, Fetty Wap, The Weeknd and Drake.

His latest album, “Thug Luv,” was released in 2020 and featured collaborations with 2 Chainz, Jeezy, Boosie Badazz and City Girls.

As news spread of his death, tributes from family, fans and friends in the hip-hop community filled social media.

“Happy to be able to have met u laugh wit u make history with you and give u a real opportunity you deserved, still 1 of my favorite rappers out the city, rest easy broadie,” Mike Will Made It wrote on Instagram.

About the Author