A Buckhead woman was in critical condition Sunday morning after being pulled from a burning second-story condo.
Her dog was killed in the blaze, which fire officials believed started in the unit below.
Atlanta fire spokesman Cortez Stafford said crews responded to the Pharr Manor Condominiums on Pharr Road shortly after 4 a.m., finding flames erupting from two condos and quickly spreading into the attic area of the entire four-unit building. Firefighters quickly got word that a 37-year-old woman that lived on the second floor was missing.
Crews went up the stairs and found the woman unconscious and not breathing, Stafford said. She had burns over 40 percent of her body and was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital in critical condition.
A man in the first-floor unit was transported with minor burns to his head, Stafford said. The initial investigation suggests the blaze started as a cooking fire in his kitchen.
A total of seven residents were displaced.
—Please return to AJC.com for updates.
About the Author
Credit: Natrice Miller / Natrice.Miller@ajc.com