Man killed in shooting at DeKalb gas station ID’d as Auburn football chaplain’s son

Credit: DeKalb County Police Department

Credit: DeKalb County Police Department

An alleged robber who was killed during a shootout with his intended victim outside a DeKalb County gas station over the weekend has been identified as the son of the chaplain for Auburn University’s football team.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn began his Tuesday news conference by offering his condolences to Rev. Chette Williams and his family after the death of Chette Williams Jr.

“The first thing I wanted to say is we’re hurting for Brother Chette (Williams), our FCA chaplain,” Malzahn’s statement said. “He lost his son over the weekend. Brother Chette has been around here a long time, I think over 20 years. He’s touched so many of our players’ hearts over the years. I know he’s a personal friend to all of our coaches and a personal friend for me. He goes on a mission trip with me and (wife) Kristi every summer with our players. We’re just hurt for him. Auburn family — we’re going to love him and help him through this tough time.”

Williams Jr. allegedly approached a man Saturday night in the parking lot of a QuikTrip at the corner of Flat Shoals Parkway and Clifton Springs Road, previously reported. The victim, a 32-year-old man, told police he was pumping gas when Williams Jr. approached him, DeKalb police spokeswoman Michaela Vincent said.

RELATED: Police ID man killed after attempted robbery, shootout at DeKalb gas station

Williams Jr. pulled his silver Hyundai Accent in front of the victim’s vehicle, pulled out a black handgun and said, “You know what time it is,” according to a police report. The victim told police he took cover and pulled out his own gun for protection.

The man said Williams Jr. fired first, and then he returned fire. Williams Jr. got back into his Hyundai and sped away before crashing into a parked car, the report said. A witness told police two other people jumped out of the vehicle and ran toward Clifton Springs Road.

Several people at the QuikTrip saw the victim get back into his own car, pull into a parking space near the front of the convenience store and run inside. He disassembled his gun and left it on the front counter before one witness escorted him to the back of the store to hide, witnesses told police.

Williams Jr. was found shot in the neck and slumped over in the Hyundai when officers arrived about 8:30 p.m. He later died at Grady Memorial Hospital.

“Everyone has been identified and no warrants are being sought at this time,” Vincent said.

In other news: