Suspect sought after firing shot outside Mays High School 

At least one shot was fired Monday afternoon in the parking lot of Benjamin E. Mays High School in southwest Atlanta, officials said.

“A female student got into a verbal altercation with a male acquaintance, who is not a Mays student, that resulted in the male breaking a car window and the student receiving cuts from the broken glass,” Atlanta Public Schools said in a statement. “As the male acquaintance drove away, at least one shot was fired into the air in the parking lot. No other injuries were reported.” 

The school was on lockdown while police worked to locate the shooter. The lockdown was lifted at 3:25 p.m. 

“The safety and security of our students and staff is a top priority at Atlanta Public Schools, and we have launched an investigation into this matter,” the district said.

School administrators sent email notices to parents, Channel 2 Action News reported. Those who picked up their students were also handed a letter about the incident. 

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Ga. lawmaker who defended Klan named to House post on eve of King Day
  2. 2 At MLK ceremony, Kemp gets an earful from his critics 
  3. 3 East Point woman among Americans killed in Syria bombing

It comes just days after a Mays teacher was removed from the classroom following an alleged fight with a student. The teacher’s identity was not released. 

RELATED: Teacher removed from Atlanta school after alleged fight with student

In October 2016, a student was shot in the parking lot after a football game. The student’s injuries were not life-threatening.

MORE: Atlanta public school to add security after student shot

Parents told Channel 2 Action News a gun was found on the campus last week, but school staff didn’t notify them of the incident. 

At least one shot was fired at Benjamin E. Mays High School. The incident took place Monday afternoon in the parking lot. It appeared to be a domestic dispute, according to officials. The school was on lockdown as of 3 p.m. Monday as cops worked to locate the shooter. No deaths have been reported.

More from AJC