Seven families, consisting of 25 adults and seven children, were displaced Tuesday evening after an apartment complex fire in Sandy Springs, according to the Red Cross.
The fire started in a laundry room at the Sierra Place apartment complex at 125 Northwood Drive, which has eight units, according to a Facebook post by the Sandy Springs Fire Department.
The fire extended into the attic of the building before firefighters were able to extinguish it, the post said. AJC.com has reached out to the department for more details on the incident.
The Red Cross is helping the families with lodging, food, clothing, toiletries, replacement medications and other essentials in the wake of the fire.
In other news:
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.