A family of nine said it wouldn’t have escaped a house fire if it weren’t for a 5-year-old boy, Channel 2 Action News reported.
Noah Woods carried his 2-year-old sister and their dog out of the Bartow County house and then went back in to alert the rest of his family, the news station reported.
The boy said he saw the flames at the side of his bed Sunday morning, but he didn’t know where they came from. That’s when he jumped into action, Channel 2 reported.
“I picked (his sister) Lily up, got to the window with Lily, got the dog and got out,” Noah said. “That’s it, and I got myself out.”
He then returned to the house, ran up the stairs and told his uncle to help get everyone else out, according to the news station.
“If it wasn’t for Noah — I mean we were all asleep so we wouldn’t have known what was going on,” the boy’s grandfather, David Woods, said. “We could’ve all lost our lives.”
Bartow County fire officials said the electrical fire originated in an outlet in the room Noah and Lily share. No one was hurt except for a small burn on Noah’s wrist, Channel 2 reported.
“We got smoked up a little bit, but we're all still alive,” David Woods said.
The family did not have insurance, but the community is helping them pool together clothing, the news station reported.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.