CVS Health will double the number of drive-thru COVID-19 testing sites in Georgia, which will fulfill the company’s promise to open 1,000 testing locations across the nation by the end of May, officials said Thursday.
The new testing sites will open Friday at 23 CVS pharmacies, joining the 23 drive-thru locations that are already operational across the state, according to a press release. Pharmacies in Atlanta, Alpharetta, Brookhaven, Jonesboro, Lawrenceville and McDonough are all slated to get the new drive-thru testing options.
Each site will offer self-swab tests to people who meet Centers for Disease Control and Prevention criteria, the release said. Patients must also register in advance at CVS.com to schedule an appointment.
While at the sites, patients will be required to stay in their cars and will make their way to the pharmacy drive-thru window. They will then be provided a test kit and given specific instruction on the self-swab process.
Tests will be sent to a third-party lab for processing. Results will be available about three days later.
Across all test sites, CVS expects to be able to process up to 1.5 million tests per month as long as supplies and lab capacity remain available, the release said.
“Opening access to testing to more locations using our drive-thru window represents an important milestone in our response to the pandemic,” Larry J. Merlo, president and CEO of CVS Health, said in the release. “We remain grateful for the daily efforts and sacrifices of our front-line colleagues who make the continued expansion of our testing possible.”
More than half of the company's 1,000 test sites are in communities in the greatest need of support, as measured by the CDC's Social Vulnerability Index. This includes impoverished areas, those with lack of access to transportation and spots with crowded housing.
The new testing sites in Georgia will open at these CVS pharmacies:
• 10710 State Bridge Road, Alpharetta, 30022
• 795 Oglethorpe Avenue, Athens, 30606
• 1455 Moreland Avenue, Atlanta, 30316
• 3435 Ashford Dunwoody Road NE, Atlanta, 30319
• 2350 Cheshire Bridge Road NE, Atlanta, 30324
• 1610 Mount Vernon Road, Atlanta, 30338
• 439 North Highland Avenue, Atlanta, 30312
• 2237 Cascade Road SW, Atlanta, 30311
• 3221 Peachtree Road NE, Atlanta, 30305
• 1520 Walton Way, Augusta, 30909
• 3231 Wrightsboro Road, Augusta, 30909
• 2703 Washington Road, Augusta, 30909
• 2559 Windsor Spring Road, Augusta, 30906
• 1622 S. Lumpkin Road, Columbus, 31903
• 4561 River Road, Columbus, 31904
• 8139 Tara Boulevard, Jonesboro, 30236
• 1802 Roanoke Road, LaGrange, 30420
• 1187 Grayson Highway, Lawrenceville, 30045
• 4080 Bloomfield Road, Macon, 31206
• 2098 Ga. 20 West, McDonough, 30253
• 2720 Ga. 42 North, McDonough, 30253
• 712 Stephenson Avenue, Savannah, 31405
• 2205 North Ashley Street, Valdosta, 31602
To view the complete list of CVS drive-thru testing sites, click here.
Zachary Hansen, a Georgia native, covers economic development and commercial real estate for the AJC. He's been with the newspaper since 2018 and enjoys diving into complex stories that affect people's lives.