Atlanta

Armed man walks up to McDonald’s drive-thru window, opens fire

May 1, 2019

Atlanta police are trying to find a man who walked up to a McDonald’s drive-thru window with a gun, opened fire and took off.

The incident happened just before 1 a.m. Wednesday in the 2400 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive in southwest Atlanta, police told AJC.com.

Officers were sent to the fast-food restaurant after someone reported gunshots had been fired, police spokesman Officer Jarius Daugherty said.

A restaurant employee told police a man with a bandanna covering his face walked up to the drive-thru window and pointed a gun at her. When she saw the gun, she backed away from the window, Daugherty said. Then, she heard gunshots.

A white sedan was seen speeding away from the restaurant shortly after, Daugherty said.

No one was hurt, but there was damage to the drive-thru window. An investigation is ongoing.

In other news: 

About the Author

Asia Simone Burns is a watchdog reporter for the AJC. Burns was formerly an intern in AJC’s newsroom and now writes about crime. She is a graduate of Samford University and has previously reported for NPR and WABE, Atlanta’s NPR member station.

More Stories