1. President declares state of emergency in Georgia. As Hurricane Matthew edged closer to the Florida coast early Friday, President Obama declared a state of emergency in Georgia. [But when will it hit Georgia?]
2. FEMA unofficially uses 'Waffle House Index' to gauge disasters. One lesser-known indicator emergency management officials use is whether or not Waffle Houses are open. [What are the three stages of Waffle House Index.]
3. Hawks open preseason with win behind Tavares’ double-double. The Hawks won their exhibition opener with a 104-83 victory at the Grizzlies Thursday night. [Read more.]
4. Cobb County Schools Superintendent: Kneeling athletes would be benched. If student athletes took a knee during the national anthem, Cobb County Schools Superintendent Chris Ragsdale said “their asses would be benched.” [Read more.]
5. Exclusive: Tex McIver says he shot wife by accident. Atlanta attorney Claud “Tex” McIver told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today that he accidentally shot and killed his wife as they rode in their SUV near Piedmont Park last week. [“There’s nothing I want to do but join her,” he said.]
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.