Tank Bigsby and Kobe Hudson, the pride of Troup County, are rising in the state player-of-the-year watch.
Bigsby, a Callaway running back, entered the POY Watch after his 309-yard rushing performance last week against Bremen.
Hudson, a Troup quarterback, moved up a couple of spots after rushing for a career-high 251 yards. With that, Hudson became the first player in state history to have a 500-yard passing game (vs. Chapel Hill) and a 250-yard rushing game (vs. Sandy Creek) in the same season.
As a matter of trivia, the last player from a Troup County school (Troup, Callaway or LaGrange) to win a media classification player-of-the-year award was Reuben Foster of Troup, the Class AAA defensive player of the year in 2011 as a junior. Foster is now a linebacker with the San Francisco 49ers.
The POY Watch is intended to be a fun look at some of the state's best players. Players naturally will drift in and out, and that should not be taken as a critique of their season. It is an honor to appear in the POW Watch even for a single week.
Recommended for you
Recommended for you
Recommended for you
1. RB Jamious Griffin, Rome: Griffin rushed for 141 yards and three touchdowns on just 11 carries in a 48-7 victory over Woodland of Cartersville. In six games, Griffin has rushed for 1,158 yards and 18 touchdowns - at least two in every game - on 109 carries (10.6 yards per carry). He has caught seven passes for 145 yards and two touchdowns. A three-star recruit, Griffin is committed to N.C. State. Rome (6-0) is ranked No. 1 in Class AAAAA and No. 18 nationally in the MaxPreps Xcellent 25.
2. WR/DB Jadon Haselwood, Cedar Grove: Haselwood had three receptions for 49 yards and a solo tackle in a 52-0 victory over Redan. In six games, Haselwood has 25 receptions for 238 yards, 15 tackles, eight pass breakups, an interception, a 16.2-yard average on punt returns and a 39.7-yard average on kickoff returns. The consensus No. 1 recruit in Georgia, Haselwood is committed to Georgia. Cedar Grove (5-1) is ranked No. 2 in Class AAA.
3. QB Chandler Byron, Monroe Area: Byron rushed for 181 yards and three touchdowns on 11 carries and was 4-of-6 passing for 75 yards and two touchdown in a 62-0 victory over East Jackson. In six games, Byron has rushed for 1,264 yards and 18 touchdowns, at least two in every game, on 122 carries (10.4 ypc). He's 31-of-55 passing for 698 yards and nine touchdowns with only one interception. Byron is not a highly rated recruit and does not have an offer. Monroe Area (6-0) is ranked No. 3 in AAA.
4. QB Kobe Hudson, Troup: Hudson rushed for 251 yards and a touchdown on 17 carries and passed for 136 yards and two touchdowns, although with two interceptions, in a 35-21 victory over Sandy Creek. In six games, Hudson is 80-of-127 passing for 1,650 yards and 20 touchdowns and has rushed for 578 yards and seven touchdowns on 49 carries. A junior, Hudson is a top-100 national recruit, the No. 13 wide receiver prospect nationally in the class of 2020. He is committed to Auburn. Troup (6-0) is ranked No. 5 in Class AAAA.
5. WR Ramel Keyton, Marietta: Keyton's team did not play last week. In five games, Keyton has 40 receptions for 662 yards and 10 touchdowns while playing against four nationally ranked opponents. Keyton, a four-star top-200 national recruit, has committed to Tennessee. Marietta (1-4) is unranked in Class AAAAAAA.
6. RB Travis Tisdale, Lowndes: Tisdale rushed for 104 yards and a touchdown on 13 carries in a 37-16 victory over Ware County. In seven games, Tisdale has rushed for 1,201 yards and 17 touchdowns on 98 carries (12.3 ypc). He has 11 receptions for 131 yards. A three-star recruit, Tisdale is committed to Kentucky. Lowndes (6-1) is ranked No. 10 in Class AAAAAAA.
7. QB Dylan Fromm, Warner Robins: Fromm was 24-of-36 passing for 356 yards and five touchdowns in a 49-21 victory over Houston County. In six games, Fromm is 137-of-218 passing for a state-leading 2,080 yards and 21 touchdowns with three interceptions. A three-star recruit, he is committed to Mercer. Warner Robins (5-1) is ranked No. 6 in Class AAAAA.
8. RB Derrian Brown, Buford: Brown rushed for 89 yards and one touchdown on 11 carries in a 49-0 victory over Johnson of Gainesville. In six games, Brown has rushed for 932 yards on 128 carries (7.3 ypc), caught six passes for 75 yards and scored 13 touchdowns. A top-250 national recruit, Brown is committed to Texas. Buford (4-2) is ranked No. 2 in Class AAAAA.
9. WR Dominick Blaylock, Walton: Blaylock's team did not play last week. For the season, Blaylock has 423 yards receiving, 71 rushing and 51 passing and eight touchdowns. He has 3,033 yards receiving for his career. Blaylock is a five-star recruit and the consensus No. 31 player nationally. He committed to Georgia before his junior season. Walton (5-0) is ranked No. 2 in Class AAAAAAA.
10. RB Tank Bigsby, Callaway: Bigsby rushed for 309 yards and three touchdowns on 19 carries in a 37-25 victory over fourth-ranked Bremen in a Class AA game. For the season, Bigsby has 963 yards rushing and 10 touchdowns on 98 carries. Bigsby is rated the No. 41 prospect nationally for the class of 2020. Callaway (5-1) is ranked No. 2 in Class AA.
Produced by Georgia High School Football Daily, a free e-mail newsletter. To join the mailing list, click here.