1. Georgia Tech great Luke Manget has held the title of the school’s all-time leading scorer for 14 years.
“There’s been so many good players since then,” he said. “It’s kind of been an honor to be on top.”
He is ready to make way for Harrison Butker , who goes into the TaxSlayer Bowl tied with Manget with 322 points.
2. A TicketMaster diagram would suggest that tickets for the lower bowl of EverBank Field are nearly sold out, while the upper deck is mostly unsold. At $58.75 (plus fees) for an upper-deck seat, it’s understandable.
On StubHub, the least expensive seat available as of Thursday morning was $39.99 .
3. Tech had a visitor to practice Wednesday morning – former linebacker and graduate assistant Steven Sylvester. He is now running backs coach at Jacksonville University, which plays in a non-scholarship league at the FCS level. He just completed his first season with the Dolphins after nearly three years as a GA with Tech, where he assisted quarterbacks and B-backs coach Bryan Cook.
Johnson was not enthused with more integral elements of practice , however.
4. Johnson’s thoughts on balancing work with pleasure in bowl preparation
“You have to try to find a medium between making it somewhat rewarding and getting ready to play the game. The important thing’s to try to get ready to play but at the same time, it it’s not a little bit of fun and different, if all it is is another spring practice, then they’ve got no incentive to want to go to a bowl game. So, we try to mix it up and do a little bit of both.”
A video demonstrating said balance.
5. The Lexington (Ky.) Herald-Leader produced a comparison of the Wildcats’ recruiting rankings and the Jackets’ By the looks of it, Kentucky should win handily. The Wildcats have 14 four-star players to Tech's four and, in the past five signing classes, have had a Rivals ranking on average 24.4 places higher than the Jackets'.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.