While Hartsfield-Jackson is the world’s busiest airport in total passenger counts, other airports typically have more passengers passing through checkpoints. That’s because the majority of passengers counted in Atlanta are connecting between flights and do not go through a security checkpoint at Hartsfield-Jackson.
TSA advises travelers not to pack their firearm in a carry-on bag and to check bags for prohibited items before heading to the airport.
Those who are caught with guns at airport security checkpoints risk being charged and can face civil penalties of up to $13,333.
Top 10 airports for firearm discoveries in 2019
1. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL): 323
2. Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW): 217
3. Denver International Airport (DEN): 140
4. George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH): 138
5. Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX): 132
6. Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL): 103
7. Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL): 100
8. Nashville International Airport (BNA): 97
9. Orlando International Airport (MCO): 96
10. Tampa International Airport (TPA): 87