Among the largest carriers in North America, Delta ranked No. 1 for on-time performance in 2018, according to airline data provider OAG.
With 83.1 percent of its flights arriving or departing on time, Delta ranked No. 1 among “mega airlines” in North America and No. 4 globally, behind LATAM Airlines, All Nippon Airways and Japan Airlines, OAG said in a report issued Thursday.
When counting airlines big and small in North America, Delta ranked second behind smaller Hawaiian Airlines, which had 87.5 percent of its flights operating on time in 2018.
The company’s performance also helped put Hartsfield-Jackson International in the No. 1 spot among the largest airports in North America, with 82.2 percent on-time performance. Hartsfield-Jackson is No. 2 in the world among mega airports behind Tokyo Haneda at 85.6 percent.
OAG’s measure for on-time performance is slightly different from the U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics’ measure of on-time arrivals.
North American airlines ranked by on-time performance
1. Hawaiian Airlines, 87.5 percent on-time
2. Delta Air Lines, 83.1 percent on-time
3. Alaska Airlines, 82.6 percent on-time
4. Spirit Airlines, 80.8 percent on-time
5. Southwest, 78.2 percent on-time
6. United Airlines, 78.1 percent on-time
7. American Airlines, 77.7 percent on-time
8. Virgin America, 77.6 percent on-time
9. Allegiant Air, 77 percent on-time
10. Westjet, 76.3 percent on-time
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.