1. Calif. father electrocuted in pool after trying to save 9-year-old daughter. James Tramel, 43 was with his family at a home in Palm Springs, California, and noticed his 9-year-old daughter was getting shocked and sank to the bottom of the pool. [Read more]
2. Chipper Jones puts Texas ranch on market for $20M. He is now leaving retirement fully by putting his famed 9,000-acre patch of land just north of the Mexico border, Double Dime Ranch, for sale, according to the Wall Street Journal. [Read more]
3. Why Donald Trump could make Georgia a purple state. Larry Sabato, the University of Virginia political scientist, argues this morning that the Trump effect could mark Georgia and three other red states as possible pickups for presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton by turning off suburban women and moderates. [Read more]
4. Heavy rainfall, large hail, damaging wind expected tonight in Atlanta. Metro Atlanta faces threats of flooding rainfall, large hail, damaging winds and isolated tornadoes Thursday evening into Friday morning. [Read more]
5. Consequences of 'religious liberty' bill veto continue to unfold. House Speaker David Ralston and Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle said they would not push to overturn Gov. Nathan Deal's veto of the "religious liberty" measure this year, but vowed to unite behind a new version of the legislation next year. Meanwhile, one of two economic development projects Georgia lost over the legislation has decided to give the state a second look after Deal vetoed "religious liberty." [Read more of Ralston and Cagle's exclusive joint interview with The AJC] [Read more about the firm reconsidering Ga.]
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.