A room at the Ritz-Carlton on Lake Oconee was damaged Thursday when a hoverboard ignited. (Photo: Greene County Sheriff’s Office)

Unattended hoverboard ignites, sets Georgia Ritz-Carlton room on fire

No one fell off this hoverboard, and no one was injured. But a Georgia hotel room will need remodeling after a hoverboard ignited Thursday, according to the Greene County Sheriff’s Office.

The hoverboard was left in a room at the Ritz-Carlton on Lake Oconee, in Greensboro, when the fire started, according to the Greene County Sheriff’s Office. It wasn’t known what type of hoverboard was involved.

The fire was extinguished and no one was injured. The Sheriff’s Office posted pictures of the incident on its Facebook page, along with a message to others.

“We are asking that you simply do not leave these type of items unattended,” the Sheriff’s Office said.

Greensboro is located about 85 miles southeast of Atlanta.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.