An Israeli soldier the military feared had been abducted by Palestinian gunmen has been declared dead, ending what could have been a nightmare scenario for Israel hours after it signaled it plans to scale back its operation against Hamas militants.
The military announced early today that 23-year-old Hadar Goldin of the Givati infantry brigade had been killed in battle Friday. Israel’s defense minister, along with the chief military rabbi, met with the soldier’s family at their home in the town of Kfar Saba.
Hundreds of well-wishers had gathered outside their home, praying and showing their support. There was an outpouring of grief when the military’s announcement was made public.
“Prior to the decision, all medical considerations, religious observances, as well as additional relevant issues were taken into consideration,” the military said.
The Israeli military had previously said it believed the soldier was abducted in a Hamas ambush about an hour after an internationally brokered cease-fire took effect Friday morning.
Hamas on Saturday distanced itself from the soldier’s alleged capture, which had prompted widespread international condemnation. President Barack Obama, U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon and others had called for his immediate and unconditional release.
Israel has gone to great lengths in the past to get back its captured soldiers. In 2011, it traded more than a thousand Palestinian prisoners, many involved in deadly attacks on civilians, for a single Israeli soldier who had been captured by Hamas-allied militants in 2006.
The capture of two soldiers in a cross-border operation by Lebanon’s Hezbollah gunmen in 2006 sparked a 34-day war between the Iranian-backed militant Shiite group and Israel.
On Saturday, Israel signaled it plans to scale back its military operation in Gaza and will not participate for now in any cease-fire negotiations in Cairo with Hamas. But the Islamic militant group suggested it won’t hold its fire in the case of a unilateral Israeli pullout, raising the prospect of renewed hostilities in the future.
Israel continued to pound Gaza with airstrikes Saturday, killing at least 72 Palestinians, many in the southern border town of Rafah where Israeli troops searched for the soldier.
In a televised address, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu suggested that the Israeli military will reassess its Gaza operation once troops complete the demolition of Hamas tunnels under the Gaza-Israel border. Once the tunnels are demolished, “the military will prepare for continuing action in according to our security needs,” he said, stressing all options remain on the table.
“We promised to return the quiet to Israel and that is what we will do. We will continue to act until that goal is reached, however long it will take and with as much force needed,” Netanyahu said. “Hamas needs to understand that it will pay an intolerable price as far as it is concerned for continuing to fire.”
Since the Gaza war began July 8, at least 1,712 Palestinians, including many civilians, have been killed and more than 9,000 have been wounded, Palestinian health official Ashraf al-Kidra said. Israel has now lost 64 soldiers and three civilians, its highest death toll since its 2006 with Lebanon’s Hezbollah. Hundreds of soldiers have been wounded.
About the Author