1. Savannah Port to see biggest cargo ship to ever dock on East Coast. The Cosco Development, a vessel that’s longer than a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, is expected to slowly churn up the Savannah River Thursday to call on the state’s sprawling seaport. [Read here]
2. Code orange smog alert issued. Metro Atlanta has entered that time of year when air quality becomes a concern. A code orange smog alert — the first alert of the season — was issued Thursday, according to the Environmental Protection Agency and Channel 2 Action News. [Read here]
3. Search underway for carjacker who shot at Atlanta cop. A carjacking led to a chase, three arrests and shots fired at an Atlanta police officer early Thursday in northwest Atlanta. The incident began when a person flagged down police in the area of a parking deck at 150 Piedmont Ave., Atlanta police Capt. J.D. Patterson told Channel 2 Action News. [Read here]
4. How Donald Trump has shaped the race to lead Georgia’s GOP. The Sixth District isn’t the only June election in this state that is being roiled by President Donald Trump. Beneath the health care storm, beyond the fight over leadership of the FBI, Republicans everywhere are in the midst of a debate to redefine themselves and conservatism. [Read here]
5. Snakebites on increase in Georgia in 2017. Officials at the Georgia Poison Control Center in Atlanta told Action News they have gotten about 40 percent more snakebite calls this year than in 2016. A mild and short winter is blamed. [Read here]
AND ALSO ...