Fallen law enforcement officials will be remembered at 7:30 p.m. May 9 in Glover Park on the Marietta Square during a vigil in their memory, including 727 officers in Georgia.
The guest speaker will be Governor Brian Kemp who will be introduced by GBI Director Vic Reynolds after Reynolds leads the invocation.
If it rains, the ceremony will be moved to the Strand Theatre.
Preceding the vigil will be a Blue Light Parade during this National Police Week.
Going back to 1960, six Cobb County police officers, all men, have died on duty.
The End of Watch came for Lt. John William Hood on June 25, 1960; Officer Drew Haynes Brown on Dec. 17, 1983; Officer Robert James Ingram on July 13, 1993; Sgt. Steve Matthew Reeves on July 24, 1999; Officer Stephen Gerard Gilner, also on July 24, 1999 and Officer James Frederick “Freddie” Norman II on Feb. 14, 2009.
In other jurisdictions in Cobb, six fallen law officers have included:
- Acworth - Police Patrolman William Luther Crowe on Oct. 23, 1954
- Austell - Police Officer Gregory Player Mullinax on Feb. 8, 1981
- Kennesaw - Police Officer Tara Marie Drummond on Sept. 13, 2005
- Kennesaw State University Department of Public Safety - Staff Sgt. Steven Raul Medeiros on Sept. 26, 2008
- Marietta - Police Officer Harvey James Adams on Sept. 3, 1986
- Powder Springs - none
- Smyrna - Corporal Stacy Milton Fuller on Nov. 16, 1984
Cobb County Officer Down Memorial Page: odmp.org/agency/753-cobb-county-police-department-georgia
Information: FOPlodge13.org/events.htm, PoliceWeek.org/schedule.html
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.